9/24/2013

Word Games...


Arguably the surprise of the Wii U launch, Scribblenauts Unlimited was a hugely charming and just plain fun adventure game that had me completely hooked. And has been documented well on this blog, I wasn't really a fan up until the last entry, where I felt they finally delivered on the potential of their concept. Probably my only issue was that after I was done with the game (which admittedly wasn't very long), there wasn't a really big hook to keep me playing because I did most of the acky creative stuff already. So how do you fix that? Scribblenauts Unmasked has the rather creative solution of claiming to be a virtual DC encyclopedia, featuring not only multiple editions of the more popular heroes, but even guys as obscure as Matter Eater Lad. Will you be able to find heroes it doesn't have? It's completely possible but it'll be incredibly fun to find out who is in there and have them interact in addition to solving really fun puzzles centered in the DC Universe.

Another thing I realized with the imminent release of Scibblenauts: This may very well be the last home console game I buy this year. I have the new Zelda 3DS game pre-ordered in November, but that's pretty much it for the forseeable future. I have repeatedly stated how little the next gen launch line-ups impress me, and I sure as hell don't care about the new Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. Arkham Origins? Meh. The new Mario and Donkey Kong look pretty uninspired too. I'd be excited for South Park: The Stick of Truth if it had a release date. At this rate it's probably being pushed to next gen if it comes out at all. Watchdogs? The more I see (and we've all seen a lot) the less I'm convinced this will be anything that interesting. I'll be sure to rent some of these and hopefully be surprised, but very few of these titles seem worth buying day one at $60, so barring any really good holiday sales or something really surprising me, I'll pretty much be set for the remainder of the year at least. Hell if focus on mostly completing my backlog, it could be well into 2014 before I really pick something up.

That's it for today, I should have a new post up either tomorrow or Thursday, most likely a gamer cinema.

No comments: