5/21/2013

Microsoft doesn't know what message it wants to send...







So the big unveiling of the Xbox One happened today, and if you've been reading any of the internet reactions, it has not been pretty. At All. People seemed extremely upset that games were such a minor point of the conference to the point of the Xbox One barely being a console, and more a DVR that you can use voice commands on. However, had any of them been paying attention, this was pretty much the plan. This conference was never about games. That is being saved for E3. As far as games, MS should hopefully quell our fears with the announcement of 15 exclusive titles on the first year, 8 of them all new IPs. That's pretty promising. Of course we will see if any of those deliver but it shows Microsoft has heard the concerns about no exclusives and weak first party support. Granted, Xbox One is a pretty terrible name, and shoehorning Kinect into everything will suck, but it's all stuff that we can deal with. I think if those were the biggest concerns the chatter would've died down pretty quickly.

And then the question of used games & always online comes up...




And the internet went nuts, quite understandably so. Mandatory installs, not always on but requiring an internet connection for validation and possibly the biggest/worst news of all: fees for pre-owned titles, fees for titles being used on different accounts, etc. This was made even worse by many Microsoft employees contradicting each other as to whether this was the case and nobody outright denying it saying instead they haven't revealed plans as of yet. MS needs to get a clear message out and quick before they are just twisting in the wind. Admittedly if the message is that I cannot buy used titles or even rent titles without paying an additional fee I will most likely not be getting an Xbox One anytime soon. Add to that needing to authorize even single-player titles with an online connection (what if I'm out of town? Do I have to re-authorize any games while my system was off or unplugged? What if my internet is down for a few days?) And I may never get one. Hopefully Microsoft sends a clear message to us gamers at E3 or I have a feeling we'll be making other choices come this holiday be it Wii U or PS4 or nothing at all....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please let me know if you're looking for a writer for your weblog. You have some really great posts and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd love to write some content for your
blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please blast me an email
if interested. Many thanks!

my page bokk of ra