12/05/2012

Ni Ko Nuni makes another case against rpg demos...



A big reason I bought the Wii U is that in 2013 I'm not seeing a whole ton of titles I'm really looking forward to. The Xbox 360 doesn't have a single exclusive title I'm excited about. Hell I'm pretty sure it's only exclusive title is Gears.This is admittedly natural when a console is nearing the end of it's lifepsan and everybody is prepping for the next round of consoles which we'll presumably see if not this year next year at latest.

But despite the PS3 also being presumably on its last legs, it has a large number of titles exclusive to its platform coming out that are generating a lot of excitement. One of the most exciting for me personally is Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. A collaboration between the fantastic Studio Ghibli & the amazing Level 5, this rpg has been on my radar for a long time and it's finally within sight as it comes out in just over a month.

A demo was released yesterday which I was very excited to try. It showed of the colorful graphics beautifully, the entire demo looked incredibly stunning. But then we got to the actual battles, where much like the demo for FFXIII-2 I was just pretty much thrown in there (with a time-limit no less!) I was thrown into a rather complex system with no explanation of how it works. What are my familiars? Can I influence my party members in some way? Hell it took a few battles to realize I could freely move around the field. I mean the first part I tried, where you immediately run into a boss with your little familiar who is pretty much useless against him I got creamed within a few short minutes. I was heavily tempted to just throw up my hands and say this system is way too complicated for me to enjoy. Luckily they had another section where you actually fought several normal battles before getting to a boss battle to at least feel things out a little bit. Once I started to get a grasp of how to handle things I performed much better, but still barely made it through the boss battle at the end not because it was particularly difficult but there was just a lot of how the battle system works I didn't know and is hard to really get down in a mere 20 or so minutes like any good complex rpg.

The good news is I'm still excited about this game. The battle system looks fun and unique and I'm absolutely in love with the art style (in fact I'd love to see them make another Dark Cloud or Rogue Galaxy). But it's pretty much in spite of the demo, which comes of more confusing than anything because you are just given so little time to understand a system that like most good rpgs will take an hour or two to really get the hang of.

That's it for today, I will most likely have another post up tomorrow on the Nintendo Direct that is later today if nothing else. Until then, here's your FREE GAME OF THE WEEK: The Prince Edward

No comments: