7/20/2007

Adam Sandler is more gay than John Travolta

I'll admit, I was immediately ready to toss off Hairspray as a cheap cash-in remake that would fail, badly. And not because I hate musicals. I love a good musical. Little Shop of Horrors, Chicago, Moulin Rouge, Singin' in the Rain, most of the Disney animated films of the 90s. Those are good musicals. But mostly, they are crap, especially old "classics" like Oklahoma or the always painful The Sound of Music. Luckily, the buzz on Hairspray is that it's incredible fun, so I definitely plan to check it out this weekend (assuming I can stop reading the new Harry Potter, which I'll talk about tomorrow).

And then we have I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry-Adam Sandler's latest attempt to prove he no longer cares if anything he does is funny. I literally cringed every time I've seen this tired, cliched homophobic trailer that you'd think is a bad combination of The Odd Couple & the Birdcage but is in actuality a blatant rip-off of a Paul Hogan movie made in his native land of Australia. Most of the crowds I've been with when the trailer was shown really only reacted to the hotness of Jessica Biel, so no offense to the lovely Ms. Biel, but I seriously hope even her hotness will not save this movie from being a well-deserved bomb this weekend.

And that's all I have for today, as I gotta be up for work in a little under 7 hours, but I'll definitely talk about the biggest book of the year tomorrow.

No comments: