3/30/2007

New York, New York, it's a helluva town



There it is, the trailer for arguably the most anticipated game of the year, GTA IV. My thoughts? I'd be pumped if this was a movie, but as a game, I'm saying so what? Sure it looks pretty, but if it's just the GTA of old in a shiny new HD package, I'm not the least bit interested. I didn't even like San Andreas very much, so hoepfully this'll at the very least be an attempt at something more engaging than forcing me to watch my virtual calories. Multi-player seems to be the big demand from the gaming public, but I'm just not sure how that would be properly done. We still got nearly 7 months til this monster is unleashed, so a lot could change, especially with Take 2 being in a giant corporate upheaval, which may result ultimately in a buyout by either Sony or Microsoft (or hell even Nintendo, but that seems about as likely as Jack Thompson actually playing a game before judging it).

Though it means I probably won't be privy to any more updates, it seems like Gamers the show has gained some real steam in becoming an actuality, as you can see by checking out their website. Unfortunately part of the problem may be there's not a great fit for a show like this. MTV may have the right demographic, but most people who aren't complete idiots loathe MTV, especially geeks. G4 is a shell of the gamers paradise it started out as,now seemingly pretty much a sub-standard clone of Spike TV, which seems to survive solely on CSI reruns. Let's all hope this is the next great comedy, and not something that should've been huge, but never caught on like so many favorites (Firefly, Arrested Development, Freaks & Geeks, etc.).

Clearly, there is one movie choice this weekend, it just depends on whether you've got kids or not. If the youngins' are dragging you to the multi-plex, you'd better hope Disney finally remembered how to make a good film without Pixar, as that's what you've got with Meet the Robinsons. And just for reference, Disney's last non-Pixar animated film was Chicken Little, which was one of my more painful experiences of 2005, so I'm not holding up high hopes for this one.

Now if you are over the age of 10, your clear choice is Blades of Glory with Will Ferrel and Jon Heder. Sure, this is basically Anchorman/Talladega Nights on ice, and Ferrel playing this type is getting stretched a bit thin, but I think he's got enough for one more film, and having Will Arnett, Jenna Fischer & Amy Poehler in the cast should help keep it very amusing.

Finally, I am going on vacation for about a week starting this Saturday, so while I won't completely rule out updating, there most likely won't be any posts until at least next Sunday (definitely not until after the weekend at the earliest, so I don't get fooled by any lame April Fool's stories and look like a jackass). Knowing my luck, something profoundly earth-shattering will happen and if so I will try and update.

No comments: