2/23/2007

Demos, Demos everywhere!

And all of them were surprisingly entertaining. When I picked up Sonic on Wednesday (I'll have more on it in my next post, but definitely the best 3D Sonic in years if not to date), I put down a pre-order for what is probably the last really big PS2 title, God of War II. Truth be told, I was a tad worried that the first one was so good they would blow the sequel, but the early reviews and the awesome boss fight in the demo have convinced me that this will definitely let the PS2 go out with a giant bang rather than a whimper like it's last-gen brethren.

It's been awhile since I checked in on the fan project King's Quest IX: The Silver Lining. But everything seems to be going along pretty smoothly since they started up again. They even released a demo, and it definitely has that old school King's Quest feel to it, so I'm really looking forward to the full release later this year.

Finally, the most surprising of all was the demo for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game, based on the upcoming movie. Usually games like this are certifiable crap, especially since the last good TMNT games were way back in the 16-bit days. Though it would be nice to have a solid 4-player fighter that does the old games justice, this one player action-game seems very promising. I'll definitely be willing to check it out when it ships alongside the release of the movie.

After a bit of a break, it is time to start talking movies again, though this weekend's offerings don't seem all that enticing.

Probably your best bet for a feel-good time is the Astronaut Farmer with Billy Bob Thorton. It seems like a crazy idea that won't gel, but so far reviews are saying that's actually why it works, which has me very intrigued, so I'll probably check it out.

When the previews for The Number 23 first surfaced I was very intrigued, cause I liked Jim Carrey and it's a dark thriller, which is new territory for him. But then reality set in when I realized shlockmeister Joel Schumacher was directing and it would most likely be a coherent mess, which the reviews are definitely agreeing with, even the positive ones. I believe Carrey has a good dark role in him, but like every actor he needs the right director to bring it out, and Schumacher is never the right director for anything. Ever.

Finally what may be the best bet for a good laugh is Reno 911: Miami. I like the show enough to give the movie a chance, but I feel it will ultimately be like most great sketch-comedies and stretched extremely thin for a full-length film, much like Super Troopers before it.

STAND-UP OF THE WEEK: Dennis Leary-Coffee

No comments: