11/03/2006

Santa Clause Must Die(t)!

I never thought I'd see the day that the Godfather movies and the Santa Clause movies had something in common. But now the Santa Clause franchise is a full trilogy much like the Godfather trilogy with the release of Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause out in theatres this weekend. Now, I like Tim Allen and really enjoyed the first Santa Clause film and the second was mildly entertaining, but aren't we bored of this whole concept by now? I admit, I'm mildly curious to see them wrap up this trilogy (and I'm a sucker for holiday films), but this screams "straight to video" effort that is only justified in theatres by the fact that the last 2 made a lot of money.

Also competing for families this weekend is yet another fish-out-of-water CG tail in Flushed Away. Cue severe yawn. This is the latest of a seemingly endless-"character is thrown out of his natural element" story, and it's even more tired than 3 movies about being Santa Clause. It sure features a great cast, with Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet & Ian Mckellen all providing voices, but it's seems to be a trend of these films that the more star-studded they are, the weaker the film actually is.

Finally, probably the best bet for anybody over 10 this weekend is what just might be the funniest movie ever (at least according to early reviews): Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. Or just Borat: The Movie for short. It's hard to explain to the uninitiated (which I admittedly was until I started hearing all the buzz for this movie) just why Borat is so brilliant, so I've posted a little bit of his best work:







FREE GAME OF THE WEEK: Dad N' Me

No comments: